What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is a course management system that allows for dynamic learning to occur in the online environment. The tools provided by the Blackboard software allow students and faculty to post and share documents and other course content, write via email and posted discussion boards, and even have synchronous, or "real-time" conversations in a virtual classroom.
Am I required to use Blackboard?
Not neccessarily. Contact your instructor(s) to find out if they intend to use Blackboard for their course(s).
How do I login?
- You must be registered for at least a 1.0 credit hour
- It must be at least 24 hours since you registered
- You must know your UA ID number, example: 30123456 (look up your UA ID). Choose option 3 and answer the questions
- Look up your username and password using the form on the left
- Go to http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/classes
- Login with your username and password in the upper left corner of the page
Why aren't all my classes listed?
- It must be at least 24 hours since you registered for your course to appear in Blackboard.
- Only the courses that your instructor has chosen to use in Blackboard will appear in your My Courses list. Contact your instructor if you do not see a course listed that you believe should be available.
Where's my syllabus?
All course content and its location, including syllabi, will vary by instructor.
How do I use email in Blackboard?
Blackboard has a built in email function that allows both instructors and students to email the entire class, groups, or individual members. Emails are sent to your Your default email address is your username with @uaa.alaska.edu appended to it ( i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org
). The email will appear in your UAA Gmail account.
There are 5 simple steps to basic email use:
- Click on the Communication navigation button
- Choose Send E-mail
- Click on Select Users
- Click on the box of the person you want to send e-mail to
- Enter your subject and message
- Click Submit
You can send e-mail to all users associated with the course (students and instructors) by choosing All Users
You can send a copy of the e-mail to yourself (for records/verification purposes).
You can include attachments with your e-mail.
Blackboard Learn Training Videos