The following are recommendations for purchasing new Apple computers. For most applications these requirements will have a minimum effective life-cycle of five (5) years before needing replacement.
IT Recommendations come in two flavors; standard and technical. Standard
workstations are perfect for most uses including Banner, Microsoft
Office, web browsing, and email. Technical workstations are for power
hungry applications like complex mathematical computations, extermly
large AutoCAD renderings, or extensive video editing, and in many cases a standard workstation equiped with additional RAM (16 GB+) may perform better than a technical workstation. Most employees
need a standard workstation.
Apple computers can be purchased online at the UAA Bookstore Apple Online Store for Higher Education. Access to Apple's academic pricing is available at the Apple Store.
- Standard Apple Workstation - Apple iMac 21.5" Retina 4K, Intel Core i7 Quad-Core Processor, 16GB of memory, 1TB Fusion drive, 21.5" LCD display, All-in-One. See all standard mac options...
- Technical Apple Workstation - Apple iMac 27" Retina 5K, Intel Core i7 Quad-Core Processor, 16GB of memory, 1TB Fusion drive, 27" LCD display, All-in-One. See all technical mac options...
- Ultra Mobile Apple Laptop - MacBook Air, Intel Core i5, 8.0GB of memory, 128GB solid-state drive, 13" LCD display, starting weight 2.38 lb. See all ultra mobile apple laptop options...
- Mobile Apple Laptop - MacBook Pro 15" with Retina display, Intel Quad-Core i7, 16.0GB of memory, 256GB solid-state drive, 15.4" LCD display, starting weight 4.46 lb. See all mobile apple laptop options...
- Desktop Replacement Apple Laptop - MacBook Pro 15" with Retina display, Intel Quad-Core i7, 16.0GB of memory, 512GB solid-state drive, 15.4" LCD display, starting weight 4.46 lb. See all desktop replacement apple laptop options...
Remember: CRT Computer Displays are Prohibited
The purchase of CRT computer displays is prohibited at UAA and grandfather exemptions for existing orders have expired. If you recently purchased a CRT display, delivery to the work site may be refused. Instead departments should be purchasing flat panel (LCD) displays. For more information see: LCD-CRT Displays Prohibition (PDF document).